Wanderlust Blog













New Passport Requirements 

Very important!   Please read the following information regarding changes to passport requirements. These changes impact US Citizens and non-US Citizens. Please read the following information carefully.

All guests are urged to carry a valid passport. Government regulations and rules now require U.S. and Canadian citizens to be in possession of a valid passport for all destinations.  Texas Cruise and Travel strongly recommends that all guests secure and carry a valid passport. Please see: U.S. State Department to learn how to obtain a passport.

Don't have time to wait - Need a passport now! We can help. Just click on the Passport Express logo and follow the instructions. Be sure and Travel Agent/Client Discount link and enter the discount code 00588335 to receive a special discount.

What are the new passport requirements?

On 9/2/05, the U.S. State Department revised the original proposed "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative." The proposed rules will require ALL U.S. and Canadian Citizens to carry a passport (unexpired) for travel to or from certain countries/areas that were previously exempt. This includes children and infants. Proper travel documentation is the responsibility of the guest and is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Guests traveling without proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vessel, and will not be refunded the cruise fare.

Documents must be presented at the time of embarkation. The following requirements are for all sailings, excluding Europe.

Update on the implementation of passport rules . . .

It seems each week we are confronted with some "new" security regulation and/or travel restrictions. One of those variables is the ever changing United States Governments passport requirements.

In September 2006 U.S. Congress passed the Homeland Security Appropriations Bill which included another provision extending the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative implementation deadlines. That means that just when you thought you had it figured out "new" Passport rules for all U.S. citizens, and other travelers coming to and leaving from the United States, will be put in place.

Beginng on June 1, 2009, a Passport (or other accepted document) is required for U.S. Citizens who travel by air, sea and land to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America, Canada and Mexico. The one exception to this general rule is for ships leaving and returning to the same US port. Be sure and ask your travel agent about the alternative to a passport on these cruises. My advice is still get a passport and simplyfy your travel life.

Here are some things of which you need to be aware if you plan to travel outside the borders of the United States in the near future.

1. U.S. citizens who are traveling internationally who arrive at their Port of Embarkation without a valid U.S. Passport will not be permitted to board their flight or ship. Even with a confirmed booking for travel abroad, you will be denied boarding in the event you do not possess a valid Passport.

2. By applying now for your passport you should avoid the rush and the possibility of not being able to travel where they wish without a passport.

3. Many Alaska cruises originate in Canada and some Caribbean cruises do not originate in the U.S. American citizens flying to their Canadian or Caribbean Port of Embarkation now require a Passport.

4. Be aware that booking travel to the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America, Canada and Mexico now requires a valid Passport to re-enter the U.S.

5. A Passport can open the doors to travel you may not have considered before, such as cruising in Europe, Australia and Asia.

6. Passports are valid for ten years. If you are a repeat cruiser or frequent traveler, you should invest in a passport for all family members. To borrow a phrase from Nike, "Just do it!" Don’t delay — get a Passport today! It simplifies everything and you can go almost anywhere except Cuba or North Korea.

*Sea and land travelers will also be eligible for the PASScard, a less expensive alternative document.

You may print a passport application or get additional information from the government on this subject by visiting http://travel.state.gov/passport.

U.S. Permanent Residents need:

- A valid Permanent Resident Card

Non-U.S. citizens need:

- A valid passport
- A valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-Entry Visa, if applicable non-U.S. citizens eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must still have a valid, unexpired passport.

For sailings calling on Canadian ports of call, certain foreign nationals must obtain a Canadian visa in addition to the multiple-entry visa.

For sailings calling on Bermuda, U.S. Alien Residents will need a valid passport (or a birth certificate and official photo ID) in addition to their Alien Resident Card.

Non-U.S. citizens must contact the appropriate consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements. All non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents must surrender their passport and/or Permanent Resident cards at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection.

Guest planning to debark in Mexico for more than 24 hours must obtain a Mexican Tourist Card prior to their departure. Additionally, guests debarking with children must have a notarized affidavit from any absent parent indicating permission to travel with the accompanying adult.

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older, must provide an official photo I.D. It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, Permanent Resident card, birth certificates, etc.) be identical to those on the cruise and airlines tickets. If not, proof of name change (i.e., a marriage license) OR a valid driver's license or government issued photo ID (i.e., U.S. Military ID) must be presented.

You may print a passport application or get additional information from the government on this subject by visiting:  http://travel.state.gov/passport